Monday, December 2, 2019

Sibling Loss, at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High


 A death in the family:
Sibling Loss; a sister s journey....

April 5, 2018
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
A special letter & tribute to the families of the fallen students at the high school

To the families of the children & adults who lost their lives to a crazed gunman on February 14th/18, a day reserved worldwide for expressing love to one another, my heartfelt sympathy.
I did not suffer such an evil act, however my 13 year old brother left the house to go to a baseball game and was killed by a car on the way. (I ve had a 2 minute video done that explains the devastation that followed/www.sibling-loss.com).
We all fell into ‘darkness’ as you have, & I decided I had to do whatever I could to get back my life. It took years; but with therapy, research and writing, I eventually arrived at a better place; celebrating my brother s life rather than only mourning his death. You never get over it, but you can be happy again.

Parents understandably never really recover completely, we all know. But siblings who took for granted being at their siblings’ birthdays, weddings, graduations, anniversaries, …..the list goes on & on, are in shock over the complete change in their futures without their loved one. They are left with a primary feeling of being abandoned, being alone, all plans changed without warning, even with other siblings being there. Left with not knowing how to comfort one another when you are in so much pain; feeling guilty over any unforgiven misgivings with that person, wondering if your family would have preferred if it had been someone else, some other sibling or you, are the tortured feelings that follow. Let it go as it s NOT so. Find a way to tell one another how you feel, if you can, & WRITE IT DOWN. Writing was my saving grace. Pray for peace of mind.
Be together, cry together & love each other more, as your departed loved one s spirit will also find peace that way….I believe.

God bless the memories of Scott Beigel, Martin Duque Anguiano, Nicholas Dworet, Aaron Feis, Jaime Guttenberg, Chris Hixon, Luke Hoyer, Cara Loughran, Gina Montalto, Joaquin Oliver, Alaina Petty, Meadow Pollack, Helena, Ramsay, Alex Schachter, Carmen Schentrup, & Peter Wang.
With my heartfelt wish for all of you to find peace.
Lucy Ravinsky (Laura Prince)

amzn.to/2X8YNJZ

No comments:

Post a Comment